EyeSpyFX Snapshot
Link to moving webcam (if on)

Thursday, February 02, 2006

What is this working thing about anyhow?

As I approach 5 months in bonny England, I start to ask myself. What is this working thing about anyhow?
People who know me, know that I am a mild workaholic with unfounded enthusiasm for making stuff happen. Or as Winston would put it "Lets put on a Show".
As I draw to, what should have been the end, of a glorious deployment. I understand that when the techie says, "I just have to plug it in and change the IP,register the name and it's done, I could have done it yesterday".. He is lying, Mistaken, and optimistic to the point of incomprehension.
I have to ask, why am I doing this. Am I being paid enough for this shit. It is -1 degrees outside and my fingers freeze (yes I should wear my gloves, but it's only a 5 minute walk). And while waiting for the train and read the advertisements on the tube station walls. There is a picture of a palm tree and I think of home. If so many people think paradise is warm weather, beaches, and a relaxed life style, then why is this city so full.
Is there a plot to keep the people working, so they never get quite enough money. Am I any better off than someone who doesn't work. I envy those those of you who manage with the alternative lifestyles. I know being a wage slave is bollocks. But one person cannot build and empire.

4 Comments:

Blogger winstoninabox said...

Now you know full well by now that this pessimism is a lack of vitamen D. Spring is just around the corner, so you'll soon be gamboling across the fields with nothing but glee on your mind.

Hang in there Alixkid. The show must go on. Or in your case - The show must be put on!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Polysemous said...

We work 24 hours a week and that seems about right for us these days. Would you be able to work less hours?? Do some painting courses or sports or dancing or sky-diving or haggis-making workshops??? Or is it like most cities where it seems that no matter how much you earn you're always a bit short?

3:14 PM  
Blogger alixkid said...

Thank you all for your encouragement. I think I just need to get out more. Maybe I'll try to find that Haggis making course.

7:08 PM  
Blogger winstoninabox said...

There's something uplifting about seeing comments on one's blog. I know I unashameably just love it.

I'm with Andrew. I tend to squander free time. Through luck I had Friday off. I'd planned to do some work to get ahead so that right now (Mon morning) I'd be free. Instead I surfed the net watching previews for heaps of movies I'll probably never watch (ok, I'll absolutely never watch the new version of "When a Stranger Calls".)

And as an aside to Polly's comment, I read that Oslo has supplanted Tokyo as the most expensive city to live in. Personally, I haven't noticed the flow on effects to my savings.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home